Overview of low blood pressure (hypotension)
Our body is made of networks of blood vessels, veins, arteries, capillaries and many more organs that carry blood in whole parts of our body. Blood pressure is the force against the walls of your arteries and veins when blood is pumped by your heart.
Low blood pressure which is also known as hypotension, is the condition of our body when blood pressure is much lower than your normal BP. It means that in the condition of hypotension, there is a lack of blood and oxygen in our parts of the body like the heart, lungs, and brain. These parts are not getting the proper amount of blood and oxygen.
For some people, low bp is common. They don’t get any negative effects of low bp. But for some people, BP goes down accidentally. When the reading of BP goes lower than 90 millimeters of mercury (Hg) for the top number and 60 millimeters of (Hg) for the bottom number is generally considered as low blood pressure.
How to read blood pressure in machine and how it works?
The pressure of the blood when the heart beats once is known as systolic pressure. The pressure of blood between the gap period of two heartbeats is known as diastolic pressure. Blood pressure is measured as systolic pressure upon diastolic pressure. For example: [90mm of Hg/6o mm of Hg]. The upper number is the systolic pressure and the lower number is the diastolic pressure.
Related: How to do push ups?
Causes of low blood pressure (hypotension)
There are so many causes of low BP. Here are some conditions that cause low BP or hypotension:
- Lack of nutrients in your diets: Vitamin B-12 encourages the production of red blood cells. Lack of such minerals and vitamins in your food items may cause weakness and low BP or hypotension.
- Heart problems: Problems related to heart like heart attack, heart failure, irregular rhythm of heartbeats, heart valve disease, etc can cause low BP or hypotension.
- Blood loss: Losing a lot of blood due to injury, accident or internal bleeding is one of the main reasons for low bp.
- Anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction): Severe allergic reaction can cause problems related to breathing, itching, swollen throats, hives and surprising drop in bp.
- Dehydration: When your body consumes less water than it loses, then it may cause dehydration which is also a reason for low bp. Fever, vomiting, severe diarrhea and drinking very little amount of water is the main reason for dehydration and low bp.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, low BP is the basic and common problem found in mothers. In this period, mother and growing baby need more supply of blood. Due to this, the circulatory system expands rapidly, and this causes a drop in BP.
- Anemia: During anemia, there are a lack of red blood cells in our body which is one of the basic reason for low BP.
- Hot weather: Hot weather is also a cause of low bp which is due to dehydration and other weakness.
- Endocrine diseases: Problem related to endocrine like low blood sugar, diabetes, adrenal isufficiency etc. are causes of low bp or hypotension.
- Immobility: Laying on the bed or sitting for a long period of time can also cause low BP for a few minutes.
There are so many substances and medicines that cause low BP. Here is the list:
- Diuretics (water pills)
- Drugs and medicines for Parkinson disease
- Different types of antidepressants
- Anti-anxiety medicines
- Medicines used for surgery
- Drugs for erectile disfunction
- Certain types of painkillers
- Alpha and beta-blockers.
- And many others…
Symptoms of hypotension:
- Weakness and tiredness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurry vision
- Chest pain
- Lack of concentration or unconsciousness
Extremely low BP can result in shock. Here are the signs and symptoms:
- Cold, clammy and pale skin
- Rapid or shallow breathing
- Weak and rapid pulse
- Lots of sweating and low temperature
Treatment and instant cure for low blood pressure or hypotension:
There are so many ways that can definitely help you to increase your hypotension instantly or rapidly. Few of them are listed below here:
Drink more liquids:
Dehydration can cause hypotension Drinking more liquids like hot milk, water can definitely help you to increase BP. Mix two tablespoons of sugar with a half tablespoon of salt in one glass of water. Mix these with a spoon until sugar and salt get completely dissolved in water. Give this solution to the patient. This will increase blood pressure surprisingly. You can add some drops of lemon juice for taste.
To increase your BP immediately, you should do clapping definitely. While clapping, all the pressure points of your body in your palm get pressurized. Due to this, your circulatory system gets stabilized and improves your blood circulation. If blood circulation will improve, blood pressure will automatically improve. Clapping for 2 or more minutes increase blood pressure dramatically.
Do given pranayam listed below:
Pranayam is an Indian breath controlling exercise. These pranayamas can improve BPimmediately and these are very easy to do. There are many benefits of doing pranayama. Some best pranayamas to cure hypotension are listed below with images and methods to do these:
you don’t need to do its standard version of this pranayama. There is a variation of this Anulom-Vilom pranayama to cure low BP. Here is how to do this:
- Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position such as Easy Pose (sukhasana).
- Keep your back straight.
- Put your both hands on your knees. your both hands should be straight.
- Close your left nostril with the thumb of the right hand.
- Inhale deeply with your right nostril. Hold your breath until you can.
- Now close your right nostril with your index finger (finger in between your thumb and middle finger) and remove your thumb from the left nostril when you are going to exhale.
- Exhale completely from your left nostril. That’s it.
- Repeat the process from 4th to 7th steps for five minutes.
- Doing this asana can improve your blood pressure dramatically.
Prevention tips and methods during hypotension or low bp:
- Raise your head while sleeping
- When you are getting up from the bed or chair, don’t get up quickly. Sit at the edge of bed and chair for a few minutes before getting up. Do not do any activity quickly.
- Don’t stand for a long period of time. Try sitting up for a few minutes and sit down again.
- you may do some basic exercise like squeezing the ball or towel. This may help you in low bp condition.
- Don’t cross your leg during sitting.
- Don’t rest for a long time continuously. Take small brakes during rest.
- Avoid alcohol. Drinking more water will help you to be hydrated.
Diet you should take during low blood pressure:
- Fluids: Due to dehydration, blood pressure drops rapidly. You should consume fluids a lot.
- Caffeine: Drinks and eating material containing caffeine increase blood pressure by boosting your heart rate. you can drink coffee or tea.
- Foods rich in vitamin B-12: In the condition of low blood pressure, you should eat foods that are rich in vitamin B-12. For example, you can take eggs, fortifies cereals, sprouts and beef.
- Salty foods: Salt increases your blood pressure. You can include salty foods like canned soup, smoked fishes in your diet.
Some diet tips for you during low blood pressure:
- Eat little but frequently.
- Avoid eating of low-carbs food
When to show a doctor:
When your blood pressure getting lower and lower than immediately go to the doctor. If the condition is similar to shock, then definitely go to the doctor. The problem of bp has cured successfully many times. Don’t be panic and don’t take a risk by doing many other things during the condition of shock.
Hey friends, I have provided all the information to you related to low blood pressure and hypotension which may definitely help you in related conditions.
I want to you that if you find anything that I haven’t included in this post, please definitely tell in comments. This will help many other people.
If you found this article helpful then share it h your friends and loved ones who need this.
Thankyou so much for spending your valuable time with me.